The Best Homemade Bread Recipe for the Soul ...

Homemade Bread Recipe: It’s DELISH !!

Feb 25

Homemade BREAD recipe .. DELISH !!!

Have you ever baked homemade bread ?

It’s therapy.

It’s comfort.

It feels good.

It is so simple to do.

It gets in your heart.

It can feed your soul.

The Best Homemade Bread Recipe for the Soul

The Best Homemade Bread Recipe for the Soul

The Best Homemade Bread Recipe for the Soul

The Best Homemade Bread Recipe for the Soul

The Best Homemade Bread Recipe for the Soul

The Best Homemade Bread Recipe for the Soul

I bake bread when I am going through a tough time.  It just feels good to bake.  It also feels good to eat bread without preservatives and additives and whatever-it-ives.

I lost my Grandpa { Pop } this week. Although he was technically a senior citizen, he was truly a wild teenager in his heart. He knew how to laugh.  He could tell a great story.  He used to ‘pretend’ he was old if he wanted to get his way. He was hilarious.  He still had all his marbles.  Sharp as a whip.  He had it together.  He didn’t miss a beat.

Pop was a beautiful beacon to our family. An incredible blueprint on how to live.  He taught others how to forgive and forget – purely by example.  He never lectured. He taught us that sometimes you have to be silent to be heard.  He just did all the right stuff.  I admired that about him ~ always.

He is quite simply, unforgettable.

Lighting Candles and Baking : The Best Homemade Bread Recipe for the Soul

Lighting Candles and Baking : The Best Homemade Bread Recipe for the Soul

Lighting Candles and Baking : The Best Homemade Bread Recipe for the Soul

The loss of my Pop caused me to pause.  It was a good reminder to stop, slow down and breathe.  I baked.  I reminisced.  I reflected.  I fell deep into thought.   I cried.  I listened to music.  I cried over and over again.

I baked some more.

I have baked about 29 loaves of bread in the last couple of days.  I could officially open a bakery.  I have played every sad song on earth.  Do you find that when you are going through a tough time, it seems that every sad song seems to hit home?

Whattup-wit-dat?!

Here is a favourite song of mine that I thought you may enjoy.   It is sort of a love song, but it seemed fitting this week because it is about STARS in the sky.  As I reflect on the beautiful souls that have left this incredible earth …. staring at the sky is a poignant reminder that they are out there watching over us.

This song hit my ‘play it a million times’ playlist this week.

STARS by Grace Potter and the Nocturnals :

HOMEMADE BREAD RECIPE :

The homemade bread recipe is filled with good mojo. It comes from a beautiful friend of mine ~Marg.  She has the biggest heart.  The kindest soul.  Her incredible inner beauty transfers into the recipe for me.

I hope it does the same for you.

Click on the recipe below if you would like the pdf printable :

The Best Homemade Bread Recipe for the Soul ~ Simply easy to bake. Tastes Delicious !

P.S. I used unbleached all purpose organic flour.  You can also use whole wheat flour too. Just start with the 4 cups of whole wheat flour and when you add the additional cups of flour, use all purpose flour.

Tried, tested and true.

With much love,

Lynne

This photo of the recipe, is a ‘pinnable’ version for pinterest.  Please share it, if you have a moment:

Delicious homemade Bread #Recipe. Read more here : lynneknowlton.com

As always, I am grateful for any sharing of photos on Pinterest ! Cheers !!

Sources : Ikea Candles Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls ,  Music : Grace Potter ~ Stars

1. Marg Townsend

February 25th, 2013 at 7:17 am

Thanks for the kudos Lynne, I too bake when I need some soul healing, and kneading the bread just somehow lets you release some of that inner tension. I hope everyone enjoys the end product!!

2. Karen

February 25th, 2013 at 7:46 am

Loved this post. Loved the song. Will share with friends.
    Karen in Newtown, CT

February 25th, 2013 at 7:52 am

Thanks Karen !
    That song. Wow ! So beautiful, isn’t it? Happy you loved it too.
    Have a gorgeous day !

4. Janet

February 25th, 2013 at 8:01 am

I’m so sorry about your pop.
    It’s never easy to lose someone, even when they lived a long and fabulous life. But I sure am glad you have that memory of him.
    I bake bread all the time! I’ll share some recipes with you. Baking bread and listening to sad music is better than a drug when you’re feeling blue. Hope you’re feeling a little better today.

February 25th, 2013 at 8:08 am

Janet ! You have more recipes for bread ! Love ! I tried to be a genius and add in raisins, cinnamon and vanilla for raisin bread. Not to great. I need some funky variety. Share with sugar bear. xx
    P.s. Thanks for your beautiful words about my Pop. He really was a hoot. We are all missing him so much. Big love to you !

February 25th, 2013 at 8:10 am

I bet everyone will love your recipe as much as I do. If you get hungry, I have a ‘bakery full’ of homemade bread over here. xxoo Thanks for sharing your gorgeous recipe with me ! xx Luvvvvs ya !

7. Suzanne

February 25th, 2013 at 8:12 am

Hey Lynne, love the post but I think the recipe is incomplete, the ingredient list. No yeast, 4 cups water? no flour? Maybe it should be 4 cups flour? but then water. Sorry, just thought you should know. You are so right, bread is therapy, made some the other day it is comforting and definitely therapy for the soul. Even more it tastes great!!

8. Suzanne

February 25th, 2013 at 8:14 am

I see what you did, sorry you mentioned the amounts of the ingrediients in the directions. Got it.

February 25th, 2013 at 8:18 am

You got it Suzanne !
    I started to write the recipe, and then typed the rest 🙂 You will love the recipe ! So simply delish. xx

10. Susan Stanford

February 25th, 2013 at 8:30 am

Susan Stanford liked this on Facebook.

11. Danica

February 25th, 2013 at 8:56 am

So sorry to hear about your Grandpa!

I can still read your blog at work!!! ****Happy Dance****

I can’t eat flour….probably a good thing or else I would be cooking up a storm and baking bread!

February 25th, 2013 at 9:06 am

Whaaaat ?? You can’t have flour? Substitute it with red wine 🙂 That should work.

13. lisa thomson

February 25th, 2013 at 11:23 pm

I’m sorry for your loss Lynne. I never had a grandfather as both were passed before I was born. Now, I don’t really have a relationship with my own father so I’m lacking in the father figure dept. I only mention this because your Pop sounds truly amazing! I may try that bread recipe. It sounds like great therapy.

14. Kevin R

February 26th, 2013 at 10:25 pm

Bread is wonderful, Lynne… I love it. I baked my one and only loaf way back and took a multitude of photos of it… weird, eh… I was just so astounded that I could have made such a thing ! It turned our beautifully and tasted just as good !
    Unfortunately, now I have a need to stay away from carbs and the terrible sugars they create… But I still love it… maybe you can come up with a gluten/wheat/carb free bread that tastes great ?!?!? I’m hopin’ !!!!!!!!
    Rgds… Kevin.

15. Tracie

March 26th, 2013 at 1:26 am

I agree Lynne, when we are sad we love to hear the saddest of songs, over and over…….I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been there myself. There are so many beautiful ones, thanks for sharing one of yours. And your Pop sounds amazing, you’re lucky to have such beautiful memories. I’m so very sorry for your loss. Bread is an awesome thing though, and very therapeutic…….all that mixing and kneading……..really going to have to give it a shot, I haven’t made it since my boys were small, a kazillian years ago! PS, I’ve been missing some of your posts in my email, this is the first one I’ve received in a while, just wondering as I always wait for your posts as you may know…..:)

March 26th, 2013 at 6:05 am

Hiya Tracie,

I double checked my mail delivery system and it shows you as a blog subscriber. It shows your waist size and bra size too. LOL. Jokes. I’d be mortified at that one. I have a buddha belly from all my bread eating right now. hahahaaa! Maybe double check your mail preferences and make sure that my email address is listed as one of your contacts. It could be that the blog posts are going into your junk/spam folders.

There is a blog post coming out this morning at 7 am EST so if you don’t receive that one in your email box,then we will have to send in the troops to fix it. I hope you don’t mind squirrels in your mailbox. LOL.

The blog post is called Face it : Love your face, and it will love you back. There… you just got in the inside scoop on the latest and greatest blog post that is about to go public. ha !

Big hugs my friend,

1 2

Unsubscribe at any time. No spam. Not even in a can.