How to make your bed the most comfortable place on earth

How to make your bed the most comfortable place on earth + my fave shows on Netflix

Have you ever had one of those moments when you love your bed more than people?  Bed is bae.  You could kidnap me, duct tape my face, throw me in a cardboard box and I’d still make a cozy space for a nap.

Note to self: If you are going to kidnap me, you better hide your Netflix password, popcorn and wine.

5 of the best ways to make your bed the most comfy place on earth + my netflix faves!

Are you ready to get under the covers?

Bed, meet your maker.

{ Dear bed. You are my favourite }

How to make your bed theeee most comfy place on earth + my fave shows on Netflix

ways to have theeeee most comfy bed of life.

You see, there’s a secret to a comfy bed and life.  Get ready.

Throw pillows anonymous : Yes, that’s an enormo amount of pillows on my bed, why do you ask? Because that ^^ is what my life looks like 5923634360923% of the time.  Is there such a thing as throw pillows anonymous?

Start with a nice crisp white clean palette AKA white duvet cover, pillow cases and sheets and then BOOM, change things up with throw pillows when the mood strikes you.   Supes comf.  Supes pretty.  Supes flexible.  Like me, when I was 21.

PS. Throw pillows are easy change.  Painting the room, not so much.

WHITE : I love white and staggering simplicity it brings to a space. You know the feeling of jumping into crisp white hotel sheets?   THAT.  You may think dark sheets are easier to keep clean. Nope. They.Are.Not.  Dark sheets are fugly. They fade.  They look ratty.  Like, fast.  Don’t go there.  Blah.

Want to know how I keep my whites white?  I hang them out on the line in the sunshine. I realize you likely don’t live in the middle-of-nowhere like I do, but hey…. I’m jelly jealous of your drive times to the grocery store.  I bet it doesn’t take you 4516 hours to get to the store.  Fling your sheets on your neighbours fence.  Or a tree.

If you’re dealing with yellowed sheets, soak them overnight in hot water with a mix of laundry detergent, borax, dishwashing detergent, and strong vinegar. About 1/3 cup of each. Then rinse – or wash again – in lots of hot water and vinegar. Even badly yellowed sheets usually come up beautifully white.

Yes, I’ve spilled a pot of coffee on my duvet and looked at it with a desperation that usually only exists in times of war. And it was clean after I punched it washed it with this stuff. *wipes sweat from brow.  It’s a miracle cleaner. Old stains on shirts? Gone.  Red wine on the sheets? Gasp. Gone.  This DIY essential oil massage oil. Gone.  Muddy boot stains (don’t ask ????) Gone.

Are you using a polyester comforter instead of a duvet?  No no no. Don’t do it. It’s lame.

A comforter will make you go ackkkkk. A duvet & cover will make you go ahhhhhhhh.

A duvet is airy and will breathe in the summer and be warm in the winter.  It’s a fluffy cloud of heaven.  Add layers, details and textures with quilts, chunky knit throws, and throw pillows. Break up the patterns with solids and don’t make it too matchy matchy.  When you mix and match and pair different things together, it looks cohesive and perfectly collected all at once.  You are smart like that.

Natural fibers for the win.  Cotton. Yes.  Linen. Yes. Polyester. NO.  You’ll find natural materials way easier to maintain, clean annnnnnd they just FEEL good. Use good quality cotton sheets and get ready to sleep dreamy.  Cotton on the sheets, linen on the covers. For the win.

I’m obsessed with linen and found the most affordable linen duvet covers of life, right here <– I screamed that.

Linen gets better looking, softer and the-not-perfect-soft-rumply-wrinkles just get even dreamier over time.  Unlike my face.

This is my fave Etsy seller for linen.  Fave. Fave. Fave. LURVE. My love for them is years strong.

Invest in a comfy bed. Whatever style rocks your socks. You will be sleeping in it for 4498578495759475 hours. Totally worth it.  I’ve fallen in love with foam mattresses in the last couple of years.  We were thinking about changing things up and going with Casper foam mattresses in the treehouse and cabin this summer for our guests.  Have you tried them? Are they d’bomb diggity? Will our guests ever want to get out of bed?  Will they ever leave? Maybe I need a new plan (?)

• New blog store: I’ll be sharing some gems ( stoopid stories) from some old and new pages on the blog.  It’s been a ton of work creating a new blog STORE!  If you get lost in there, know that I’m here for you. Kinda sorta.  I may be napping.
  • Shop my faves: Want to see my fave linens and home thaanngs? It’s on this page  <—- F.A.V.E.S.  And if you love white like I do…. Hello white epicness.
  • Blog news :  My Toronto living // prop styling daughter Tristan Knowlton styled & photographed the pics for this post.  She came on board to help me with theeee blog :)xo and you can find the cutie patootie @TristanJayne on instagram here xo
  • Netflix is my BFF :  I have a confession.  I have a mad crush on Uhtred in The Last Kingdom.  Oh my freaking gawd hawt. Ozark is such a ggahhhreat show too.  And Handmaids Tale? It makes me freak my ish. I pretty much cry in every scene of This is Us.  Pretty Little Lies is pretty big awesome. When I don’t want to think too much (every night) Mindy of the Mindy Project crushes the funny.  Have you seen the LION movie? Omg. So amaze.
  • Instagram:  What I’m snappin’ and grammin’ this week.  Are you into insta stories? They are my new favourite thing even though the new Instagram algorithm hates my guts.  I’m about to go cry in my ‘why does Instagram hate me, journal?!‘  Dear Instagram, why you no love me?
  • Something is happening: Can’t tell you what, but it rhymes with a schnew shmunky shmwool shmanket. Stay tuned on the blog for a new pattern coming soon (the blanket is in the photos of the blog post.) Didja know, there are two free patterns on the blog?  This chunky wool blanket (intermediate level) and this chunky knit blanket.  A chunky knit throw solves all the problems of life and comfy bed-ness.  So of course, blanket three is on it’s way to you soon.  Knitting.  It keeps us from unravelling.
Circular birch knitting needles for free chunky wool blanket pattern via @lynneknowlton
  • This blog post contains affiliate links.  I hope you click through and help support my little corner of the interwebs.  You can read my blah blah snore boring policies and disclosures here, if you are up for a good yawn.  Either way, I’m so so so grateful for your support. { insert massive hug }
  • These are the only circular knitting needles that I use for all my blanket patterns.  Each set of needles is shipped with this free pattern and packaging swag.  Because I like you like that.  PS. Every time you buy from my shop, I legit do a happy dance.  There may or may not be some bad dance moves.  Okay. Definitely. I need to go to dance school.
  • I love shopping online and from deep within my bed, because shopping in a mall is like getting hit in the head with a ball. Plus, I need these for bedroom fashion and for crime fighting.
  • Sheets / pillow cases :  I usually shop for my sheets and pillow cases at HomeSense Canada. I love their pricing and kickass quality.  It’s such good stuff!  Do you know of any online options for buying great sheets?  Share with sugar bear.

C/O:    Throw pillows were gifted to me from the beautiful Tonic Living.  Okay.  Truth is, I popped into the store and stole some pillows when Janine wasn’t looking.  Call the authorities.  Have you met Janine from Tonic Living?  She’s gorgeous. A red-haired-stunner-type of gal with the prettiest store space full of pillows, ottomans, rugs and blankets of life. She’s smart. Funny.  Did I mention that I hate her?  Let’s punch her in the face.

Over to you. You have the floor.  Uhm.  Bed. What’s your fave thing about your bed? Wait.  Don’t answer that. TMI.   I also need you to FREAK.MY.HAPPY.OUT and tell me your fave shows on Netflix. I need these details to thrive in life.

1. Melissa

February 23rd, 2018 at 8:43 am

I love the grey throw blanket in your blog post today. Do you have a pattern for that one available to download??

February 23rd, 2018 at 8:58 am

Hi Melissa,

Yes, soon 🙂 I will be posting that pattern in the next month or so on the blog 🙂 It’s so easy to knit and supes pretty in real life

Happy knitting 🙂
    Lynne

3. Lenna Knowlton

February 23rd, 2018 at 10:06 am

Hey “Cuz”‘ loved your blog, again! Bet Your spell checker has uninstalled itself by now. Would adore a white bed but not happenin’ hubby has four dogs ranging in size from Clydesdale to cricket and a white cover would never be out of the washer long enough to be enjoyed. We’ve settled for doggie paw print taupe. I have however, got in touch with my southern roots and made myself a little room for mid day resting, ala Gone With Wind, fainting couch, Mint Julips, dog-free haven of white. I can hear you whining, but your not coming in! Go fetch something. (P.s. every time I get down my gallon jug of homemade vanilla awesomeness, I think of you. Did you ever give it a shot? Does seem like waste of good vodka.) Lenna Knowlton

February 23rd, 2018 at 1:21 pm

Lenna!
    “It would never be out of the washer long enough to be enjoyed” hahaha… the struggle is real.

A room for mid day resting? Wooooohoooo! That rooms sounds like heaven.on.earth.

Dang.. I didn’t try it yet. I need to. I need to. I need to.

Send HALP and recipe again soon 🙂 teehee.

Big love,

5. Goretti

February 23rd, 2018 at 11:24 am

Lynne
    Ain’t nuthin’ like a Friday with you in my in-box. You always, always, always make my day. I love everything about your bed. We broke down and got a king size bed a couple of years back. The real reason was because our two Goldens were always sleeping on the bed and – I’m not gonna lie – I’m at that age when I’m perpetually hawt (know what I’m sayin’) and holy Man, between my husband and the dogs I was losing my mind. Sooooo we got this monster bed and honest to God, I literally have to get a running start and then jump like I’m doing the hurdles in the Olympics just to get in it. Gotta tell you, if I wasn’t tired before, I’m dead by the time I get in. As for Netflix, see above comments. If I watched it at night, got really sleepy, and THEN tried to get into bed, I’d probably hit my head off something so gotta save the ‘flix for special occasions when I’m feeling particularly athletic or awake. Any who … got go. Typing this a work when I should be typing other stuff. Keep blogging. We all love you, Michael and your family. Can’t wait to see the pattern for the big blankie. Love and light 🙂

February 24th, 2018 at 4:12 pm

LOL Goretti… I feel yer pain. I feel it. Hawt flashin is cray!

That is so funny about your King sized bed. I have a king bed too but I freaking love that thing. I’d put a ring on it, if I could.

Thanks for the lurve!!! So epic of you to say that!

Love and light right back atcha

7. Melissa Sharp

February 23rd, 2018 at 11:42 am

Dear Lynn,

I’ve been wondering lately. Whatever happened to the bed skirt? My box spring is naked and I don’t know what the modern day equivalent is. How do I dress my bed’s underparts? I sound old. I’m not. P.S. My husband hates throw pillows. Can I just move in with you?

February 24th, 2018 at 2:38 pm

Melissa !

That’s such a good question. I know, right? Bedskirts just went away.

The modern day equivalent seems to be a mid-century modern bed frame with a mattress and no box spring. The good news is.. no need to go and have a flying leap into a bed. They are so low to the ground now, you can practically crawl your way on to the bed. LOL.

Yes, you can move in with me and we will hide the pillows when your husband comes to visit. hhaha

9. Lin

February 23rd, 2018 at 12:45 pm

I love your bed and I love, love my bed! When I’m away for any reason there are two things that I gargantuanly miss….my bed and my catz. White and cat ???? hmmm. Instead all my walls in the house are white.. Just scored a queen silk duvet on sale this week. Bought one in China in 04, queen size by China measurements fits a North American twin…well maybe a little bigger, but not big enough for a queen. Been wanting to replace ferever. Now I’m looking for a lime green duvet cover or coverlet to replace my old worn one. Well gotta go, cat is knocking on patio door to come in from the snow. ⛄️ love, love, luv your blog!

February 24th, 2018 at 2:35 pm

Best is LIFE, isn’t it Lin? Erhhhhmergerd.

So funny that you bought a duvet in China… I did the same thing years ago.. and was like… whoa… this is for a miniature bed LOL. It’s like that for certain things in Europe too. Why can’t the world have universal bed sizes and universal light bulbs too? Seriously. LOL. Light bulbs.

I have a lime green coverlet! I’ll give it to you! Email me your mailing address!

11. Susan

February 23rd, 2018 at 5:55 pm

Lynne,
    In an attempt to FREAK. YOUR. HAPPY. OUT, these shows have held my attention on Netflix. Travelers, Turn, Frequency, Reign ~ also A Street Cat Named Bob, That’s What I Am. I watched Person of Interest when it was on cable, liked it too, tho’ the hubby has little use for anything not a western. You sound good, Lynne. Hope things are currently as hunky-dory as possible with you and Michael.

February 24th, 2018 at 2:31 pm

Thanks for the Netflix ideas Susan! Ohhhh my, I feel some Netflix and popcorn coming on. Best.Day.Ever. 🙂

Yes, things are as hunky dory as possible for us… cancer seems to be our new normal… and that’s okay too. It’s been quite a rollercoaster ride for the last few months, but right now..it feels like our noses are breathing above the water. 🙂 Enjoying the little things, the big things, the everything in between. xo

Big love,

1 2 3 4 5

Unsubscribe at any time. No spam. Not even in a can.