How to make your bed the most comfortable place on earth + my fave shows on Netflix

Feb 22

Have you ever had one of those moments when you love your bed more than people?  Bed is bae.  You could kidnap me, duct tape my face, throw me in a cardboard box and I’d still make a cozy space for a nap.

Note to self: If you are going to kidnap me, you better hide your Netflix password, popcorn and wine.

5 of the best ways to make your bed the most comfy place on earth + my netflix faves!

Are you ready to get under the covers?

Bed, meet your maker.

{ Dear bed. You are my favourite }

How to make your bed theeee most comfy place on earth + my fave shows on Netflix

ways to have theeeee most comfy bed of life.

You see, there’s a secret to a comfy bed and life.  Get ready.

Throw pillows anonymous : Yes, that’s an enormo amount of pillows on my bed, why do you ask? Because that ^^ is what my life looks like 5923634360923% of the time.  Is there such a thing as throw pillows anonymous?

Start with a nice crisp white clean palette AKA white duvet cover, pillow cases and sheets and then BOOM, change things up with throw pillows when the mood strikes you.   Supes comf.  Supes pretty.  Supes flexible.  Like me, when I was 21.

PS. Throw pillows are easy change.  Painting the room, not so much.

WHITE : I love white and staggering simplicity it brings to a space. You know the feeling of jumping into crisp white hotel sheets?   THAT.  You may think dark sheets are easier to keep clean. Nope. They.Are.Not.  Dark sheets are fugly. They fade.  They look ratty.  Like, fast.  Don’t go there.  Blah.

Want to know how I keep my whites white?  I hang them out on the line in the sunshine. I realize you likely don’t live in the middle-of-nowhere like I do, but hey…. I’m jelly jealous of your drive times to the grocery store.  I bet it doesn’t take you 4516 hours to get to the store.  Fling your sheets on your neighbours fence.  Or a tree.

Yes, I’ve spilled a pot of coffee on my duvet and looked at it with a desperation that usually only exists in times of war. And it was clean after I punched it washed it with this stuff. *wipes sweat from brow.  It’s a miracle cleaner. Old stains on shirts? Gone.  Red wine on the sheets? Gasp. Gone.  This DIY essential oil massage oil. Gone.  Muddy boot stains (don’t ask ????) Gone.

Are you using a polyester comforter instead of a duvet?  No no no. Don’t do it. It’s lame.

A comforter will make you go ackkkkk. A duvet & cover will make you go ahhhhhhhh.

A duvet is airy and will breathe in the summer and be warm in the winter.  It’s a fluffy cloud of heaven.  Add layers, details and textures with quilts, chunky knit throws, and throw pillows. Break up the patterns with solids and don’t make it too matchy matchy.  When you mix and match and pair different things together, it looks cohesive and perfectly collected all at once.  You are smart like that.

Natural fibers for the win.  Cotton. Yes.  Linen. Yes. Polyester. NO.  You’ll find natural materials way easier to maintain, clean annnnnnd they just FEEL good. Use good quality cotton sheets and get ready to sleep dreamy.  Cotton on the sheets, linen on the covers. For the win.

I’m obsessed with linen and found the most affordable linen duvet covers of life, right here <– I screamed that.

Linen gets better looking, softer and the-not-perfect-soft-rumply-wrinkles just get even dreamier over time.  Unlike my face.

This is my fave Etsy seller for linen.  Fave. Fave. Fave. LURVE. My love for them is years strong.

Invest in a comfy bed. Whatever style rocks your socks. You will be sleeping in it for 4498578495759475 hours. Totally worth it.  I’ve fallen in love with foam mattresses in the last couple of years.  We were thinking about changing things up and going with Casper foam mattresses in the treehouse and cabin this summer for our guests.  Have you tried them? Are they d’bomb diggity? Will our guests ever want to get out of bed?  Will they ever leave? Maybe I need a new plan (?)

• New blog store: I’ll be sharing some gems ( stoopid stories) from some old and new pages on the blog.  It’s been a ton of work creating a new blog STORE!  If you get lost in there, know that I’m here for you. Kinda sorta.  I may be napping.
  • Shop my faves: Want to see my fave linens and home thaanngs? It’s on this page  <—- F.A.V.E.S.  And if you love white like I do…. Hello white epicness.
  • Blog news :  My Toronto living // prop styling daughter Tristan Knowlton styled & photographed the pics for this post.  She came on board to help me with theeee blog :)xo and you can find the cutie patootie @TristanJayne on instagram here xo
  • Netflix is my BFF :  I have a confession.  I have a mad crush on Uhtred in The Last Kingdom.  Oh my freaking gawd hawt. Ozark is such a ggahhhreat show too.  And Handmaids Tale? It makes me freak my ish. I pretty much cry in every scene of This is Us.  Pretty Little Lies is pretty big awesome. When I don’t want to think too much (every night) Mindy of the Mindy Project crushes the funny.  Have you seen the LION movie? Omg. So amaze.
  • Instagram:  What I’m snappin’ and grammin’ this week.  Are you into insta stories? They are my new favourite thing even though the new Instagram algorithm hates my guts.  I’m about to go cry in my ‘why does Instagram hate me, journal?!‘  Dear Instagram, why you no love me?
  • Something is happening: Can’t tell you what, but it rhymes with a schnew shmunky shmwool shmanket. Stay tuned on the blog for a new pattern coming soon (the blanket is in the photos of the blog post.) Didja know, there are two free patterns on the blog?  This chunky wool blanket (intermediate level) and this chunky knit blanket.  A chunky knit throw solves all the problems of life and comfy bed-ness.  So of course, blanket three is on it’s way to you soon.  Knitting.  It keeps us from unravelling.
Circular birch knitting needles for free chunky wool blanket pattern via @lynneknowlton
  • This blog post contains affiliate links.  I hope you click through and help support my little corner of the interwebs.  You can read my blah blah snore boring policies and disclosures here, if you are up for a good yawn.  Either way, I’m so so so grateful for your support. { insert massive hug }
  • These are the only circular knitting needles that I use for all my blanket patterns.  Each set of needles is shipped with this free pattern and packaging swag.  Because I like you like that.  PS. Every time you buy from my shop, I legit do a happy dance.  There may or may not be some bad dance moves.  Okay. Definitely. I need to go to dance school.
  • I love shopping online and from deep within my bed, because shopping in a mall is like getting hit in the head with a ball. Plus, I need these for bedroom fashion and for crime fighting.
  • Sheets / pillow cases :  I usually shop for my sheets and pillow cases at HomeSense Canada. I love their pricing and kickass quality.  It’s such good stuff!  Do you know of any online options for buying great sheets?  Share with sugar bear.

C/O:    Throw pillows were gifted to me from the beautiful Tonic Living.  Okay.  Truth is, I popped into the store and stole some pillows when Janine wasn’t looking.  Call the authorities.  Have you met Janine from Tonic Living?  She’s gorgeous. A red-haired-stunner-type of gal with the prettiest store space full of pillows, ottomans, rugs and blankets of life. She’s smart. Funny.  Did I mention that I hate her?  Let’s punch her in the face.

Over to you. You have the floor.  Uhm.  Bed. What’s your fave thing about your bed? Wait.  Don’t answer that. TMI.   I also need you to FREAK.MY.HAPPY.OUT and tell me your fave shows on Netflix. I need these details to thrive in life.

1. Lin

February 23rd, 2018 at 12:45 pm

I love your bed and I love, love my bed! When I’m away for any reason there are two things that I gargantuanly miss….my bed and my catz. White and cat ???? hmmm. Instead all my walls in the house are white.. Just scored a queen silk duvet on sale this week. Bought one in China in 04, queen size by China measurements fits a North American twin…well maybe a little bigger, but not big enough for a queen. Been wanting to replace ferever. Now I’m looking for a lime green duvet cover or coverlet to replace my old worn one. Well gotta go, cat is knocking on patio door to come in from the snow. ⛄️ love, love, luv your blog!

February 24th, 2018 at 2:35 pm

Best is LIFE, isn’t it Lin? Erhhhhmergerd.

So funny that you bought a duvet in China… I did the same thing years ago.. and was like… whoa… this is for a miniature bed LOL. It’s like that for certain things in Europe too. Why can’t the world have universal bed sizes and universal light bulbs too? Seriously. LOL. Light bulbs.

I have a lime green coverlet! I’ll give it to you! Email me your mailing address!

3. Susan

February 23rd, 2018 at 5:55 pm

Lynne,
    In an attempt to FREAK. YOUR. HAPPY. OUT, these shows have held my attention on Netflix. Travelers, Turn, Frequency, Reign ~ also A Street Cat Named Bob, That’s What I Am. I watched Person of Interest when it was on cable, liked it too, tho’ the hubby has little use for anything not a western. You sound good, Lynne. Hope things are currently as hunky-dory as possible with you and Michael.

February 24th, 2018 at 2:31 pm

Thanks for the Netflix ideas Susan! Ohhhh my, I feel some Netflix and popcorn coming on. Best.Day.Ever. 🙂

Yes, things are as hunky dory as possible for us… cancer seems to be our new normal… and that’s okay too. It’s been quite a rollercoaster ride for the last few months, but right now..it feels like our noses are breathing above the water. 🙂 Enjoying the little things, the big things, the everything in between. xo

Big love,

5. Ronda

February 23rd, 2018 at 8:42 pm

Had to use white in my Florida vacay home, as T.O. has three cats and a huge dog, of which two cats and the dog are usually on the bed with me at night. Throw pillows forever tho! And a duvet!! The only way to go. Love that you’re back.

February 24th, 2018 at 10:14 am

Hi Ronda!

It sounds like your bed is pretty entertaining at night in TO. LOL! Yes, throw pillows and duvet for forevahhhhh 🙂 PS. Your white Florida vacay home sounds pretty!

xx

7. cindy

February 24th, 2018 at 6:18 pm

bedroom haven! no white for us, love the green velvet, gotta say! we’ve got gooby bloodhound & jug (jack russel pug mix). as for the mattress, we bought a hamuq (made Canadian eh!) after doing a lot of research, looking at casper & endy. love it!

February 25th, 2018 at 5:00 pm

LOL Cindy… gooby … ha… well… there you go.. green velvet for the win xx

I haven’t heard of Hamuq (very cool that is Canuck made tho!!! LOVE)…. totally going to check them out!!

Sweet dreams!
    Lynne x

9. Call me Annie

February 24th, 2018 at 8:48 pm

Great post.
    I did want to add a big flashing CAUTION to your advice about bleach with your white sheets tho. Aside from the occasional stain (Oxiclean is like magic), the usual issue with white sheets is that they yellow a bit over time. Fold the edges into the middle of your sheet, and you might see that difference. That’s going to be oil, and if you use bleach, it’s going to get worse, not better.
    If you’re dealing with yellowed sheets, soak them overnight in hot water with a mix of laundry detergent, borax, dishwashing detergent, and strong vinegar. About 1/3 cup of each. Then rinse – or wash again – in lots of hot water and vinegar. Even badly yellowed sheets usually come up beautifully white. But seriously… no bleach on white sheets.

February 25th, 2018 at 4:56 pm

Hi Annie!

That was thhhhheeee best advice of life on getting whites WHITE. So good, in fact…. I added it into my blog post… so THANK YOU for that!!

Years ago, I had a friend tell me about doing that…and I lost her amazing recipe. You are my new hero. LOL.

Thanks a mil,
    Ps. Goodbye bleach

11. Lisa

February 25th, 2018 at 1:26 pm

I’m on that white linen train, too. Re: Netflix. Have you watched Norsemen? Just watch it. It’s très hilair!!!
    BTW, just returned from hiatus with free accommodation in France and Ireland – cannot recommend highly enough the benefits of house sitting. A) it’s free, B) it’s free, C) it’s free. Do ya see where I’m going with this? I’ve already teed up another sit for next winter.

February 25th, 2018 at 5:03 pm

Hi Lisa!
    Oh my, I haven’t seen Norsemen… but now I’m totes curious! THANK YOU for that!

And erhmergerd, I’m so loving that fahreeeee price tag for accomodation/ house sitting! I totally see where you went with that. haha.

Where are you going next winter? Back to France or Ireland or trying a new spot?

So impressed!

Happy travels 🙂

13. Susan

February 26th, 2018 at 8:34 pm

Favorite thing about my bed…….besides everything? Lots of big pillows. At least queen, and also a king even though my bed is queen size. It will be even better after I have saved enough to purchase a soft-as-a- dream eiderdown duvet. (Brand recommendations accepted thankfully.)
    And enclosed it lovingly in linen sheets from Rough Linen.

Favorite current thing on Netflix (it’s so impossible to choose) is Grace and Frankie. I adore Frankie.

March 1st, 2018 at 3:33 pm

Oh my goodness Susan, isn’t Frankie hilarious? And Grace too! What a hoot! I binge watched both seasons as soon as they came out. ha! So good. So so so good.

My friend Karen from The Art of Doing Stuff LOVES Rough Linen ! I definitely need to get on board and try her linens!

I usually find my duvets at HomeSense or sometimes Ikea too. The softer, the fluffier.. the better!

Sweet dreams!
    Lynne

15. Varsha| Villas in OMR

March 2nd, 2018 at 2:21 am

Excellent article 🙂

16. Trudi

March 11th, 2018 at 6:43 am

Hi Lynne!

Do you sell the cushion recipe – I mean pattern! ????. The dog has eaten four of my feather pad sofa cushions – looked like the base camp of Everest here!

Definitely having a go at the gorgeous blanket.

I will probably try and get the wool in the UK – is it Wool and the Gang?

Sending love x

17. Michelle Kania

March 20th, 2018 at 5:25 pm

I just received my kit, LOVE LOVE LOVE everything ok included. The yarn is s beautiful texture and color. I have a hard time high quality wool yarn in the United States without it costing me my right arm and half of my left arm.
    Thanks again Lynne
    Michelle Kania

March 20th, 2018 at 7:06 pm

Ahhhh Michelle, YOU are so sweet for giving me such positive feedback on the kit! I’m so happy you love it !! I really enjoy packaging it up too and I love that it is also affordably beautiful ! Happy knitting!! Big love, Lynne

1 2 3

Unsubscribe at any time. No spam. Not even in a can.