20 Travel Essentials to Pack : I come with baggage.  Like whoa.

Jan 26

You never really realize how boring your life is until someone asks what you do for fun.  Basically, my idea of fun is when someone else makes my bed.  The end.

Crisp White Bed Sheets + Hotel bed =  See you never.

TRAVEL ESSENTIALS : Find out what I love to pack when I travel. I've got baggage. Like whoa! Read more on DESIGN THE LIFE YOU WANT TO LIVE by Lynne Knowlton

I don’t know about you, but I’ve thought about running away way more often as an adult, than I ever did as a kid.

My advice: Just book a ticket and just leave.

Adventuring to different places somehow makes your big ass problems seem way freaking smaller.

Michaels cancer is my ticket to crazy-ville at times.

Hello VAYCAY.

m i c h a e l     u p d a t e

For a guy with leptomeningeal metastasis (saying that word is like singing koombaya with a mouth full of marbles while doing trust falls off the edge of a cliff)  his feet are above the daisies, so therefore life is GOOD!  Michael takes three oral chemo tablets every day and does have symptoms of disease progression.  Buy hey.  Daisies, man.  Daisies.  He has numbness in his feet, chin, teeth and mouth. His body involuntarily moves in jerk-like movements throughout the night when he’s sleeping.  Do you ever jerk/bolt just as you are falling asleep?  THAT.

It’s like sleeping beside a lightening bolt.

So. We run away sometimes. We re-think our feelings about life and re-feel our thinkings.  Or something like that.

Traveling is our way of swinging at cancer like a southern church lady swings her purse, wearing her Sunday best.

We like to call our vaycays #BucketListFucketList trips

Michael and I actually went away for 5 weeks. Erhmergerd, right?!  You can see it here on my instagram (and dudette, follow me on insta… because I keep shit realer than a documentary.)

Truth is, the vaycay was kickass and scary all at once. There were times when I wrote to the oncologist because Michaels symptoms became worrisome. I was afraid we’d have to put a halt to the vaycay and come home. There were FEARS.  Real cancer fears. Fancy meeting you here, old friend.  NOT.  Cancer is like a hangover… you just can’t escape it sometimes.

ohhh  no

I bet you thought my lack of posting was because I was sitting around eating bonbons. Well, you’re kinda right. I have nothing against bonbons.  I do have something against the cost of vacations.

h o l y    b a t m a n

I discovered that I have champagne taste and soda pop pocketbook.

I swear, I’m a week away from being a greeter.

The good news is, we learned a few juicy things along the way. Like where to find the best tacos and helloooooo……your suitcase is LIFE when you are on the road.

{ what we put in our travel suitcase }

Brace yo’ self.  This is going to be juicy.

I feel like people who look presentable on a plane and can keep their luggage under 50 pounds, really have their lives together. I‘m not one of those people. Judge me.

BOTTLE OPENER.  There’s a reason why sober and bored sound exactly the same.

Packing cubes. I discovered travel cubes this year and beeeteeeedoubleU, AMAZE.  You can put your pants in one, tees in another, knickers in another, shoes in another, just everything. We bought these black packing cubes for Michael and these pink ones for me.  They even make dirty laundry look good.  Like that can happen. It totally happened.

Night light.  I love carrying a night light so I won’t face plant the hotel bathroom wall in the middle of the night.  Plus, the boogie man.  I usually buy inexpensive ones because I’m a dork and always often forget them in the hotel room.

Travel candles. Okay, they are probably illegal, and I’ll likely set off a hotel sprinkler some day, but candles are my happy place. Don’t forget the lighter.  I never forget it.  I always forget it.

Essential oil. Here’s my fave DIY homemade spray.  I take it with me wherever I go.  It’s triple duty stuff.  I spray the pillows, the room, my body, my hair, the corners of the universe. One bottle. 4398574539087 uses.

We also travel with my DIY essential oil toilet spray, because ewwwwwh.  Small hotel room + smelly bathroom = me no likey.  Your nostrils and life will thank me later.

Face cream.  Why is it that traveling makes your face feel like it’s 32984797 years old and a shrivelled prune?!  This face cream will hide the fact that you look like you hadn’t slept for 109 hours.  I’ve been using this cream for a year now and the night time one is my all time fave.

Coffee Bodum.  It’s very badassery.  Most hotels have a kettle and WOW is it ever kickass to brew your fave coffee in a delish way.  We always travel with a bodum for staycations, like One King West <<<<— Our fave hotel in Toronto.  Yes, I screamed that!

One King West rooms have a washer/dryer and a kitchenette and helllloooooo coffee.  We live a few hours outside of Toronto, so it is our home away from home when we travel to the city for Michaels oncology appointments.  The rooms have wrap around windows with views of the city for f.o.r.e.v.e.r.

PS. here’s a new page on my blog with all my fave hotel stays!

Sleep aids on airplanes.   I’ll do almost anything to fall asleep on a plane.   I’ve tried Gravol, Melatonin and everything under the sun.  PS. Don’t take too many of these.  The last time I did that, I put my head in the macaroni and Michael had to pick it up.

10.

Pocket wifi.  We bought this TEPPY for portable wifi.   It worked in every country we traveled to (except New Zealand) but I figured that it was the universe telling me that I needed to unplug my face from my phone  ( I wrote about that here on my insta)

We bought the Teppy device so we could own it outright and use it anytime.  In addition, we paid $8 per day for data usage.  As an alternative, you can rent Teppy for $8.95 a day. We freaking loved it.  Having wifi and not paying roaming charges is d’bomb diggity. We just used the wifi as we normally do, and only for our phones.

11.

Portable phone charger. Because Michael’s energy is so magnifying – he drains his phone every 12 seconds. ???? I find it’s worth it to spend a bit more moola on a quality charger.  We loved ours!

12.

Pack an eye mask!  Because hello. Some things can not be unseen.

13.

This luggage.  Heaven on wheels.  We bought the Samsonite Winfield because helllooooo awesome.  We ( mostly ME, because Michael doesn’t care about these wonders of the world LOL)  felt like Elvis Presley with patent leather shoes.

14.

Walking shoes. Okay, I know I should probably be wearing some old lady shoes to be super practical. But hey.  I’m not ready for granny panties and old geezer shoes yet.  I wore these boot shoes pretty much 24/7.  They were a great price and I could wear them in hot and cool climates. LURVE.

15.

These jackets.  Erhmergerd.  They are life.  They pack down to almost nothing in a rolly polly (basically the pocket) and we lived in them.    This is the jacket we bought for Michael and this is the Roots jacket that we bought for moi.  Fave thing ever.  LIFE.  Ugh.  So good.  I’m dead.

16.

Turkish towels …they are lightweight, versatile AND great as an extra towel, sarong, scarf or blanket.  It’s makes your hotel room feel like home, and PS. one can never have too many blankets on an airplane.  You never know when you may need to hide from people (like, always)   These are my faves .  A Turkish towel pretty much solves everything.  Therefore, I own a million of them. At home, I use them for tablecloths and curtains.  D’bomb diggity.

17.

Not exaggerating.  Our Pacsafe backpacks were l.i.f.e.s.a.v.e.r.s.  It was so great to not have to wheel around an extra piece of carry on luggage.  We bought this small one for me and a larger one for Michael. Faboosh for laptops, camera, passport and important things like liquorice…..and wine…and other unmentionables.

18.

This thing.  We used it every.single.day.   So good.   Couldn’t have survived without it.

19.

Lint brush – because, otherwise… I always seem to look like I rolled on a cat.

20.

I saved this one for last, because I didn’t want you to think that I was a total weirdo.  A silk pillowcase.  It literally feels like heaven on your head.  Plus, I don’t want hotel cooties.  For some unreal reason I feel cleaner having my own pillowcase over a hotel pillowcase.  Plus, your hair doesn’t look like as much of a hot mess when you wake up.  I used the same pillowcase to stuff my fave fluffy jacket in it, and used it as an airplane pillow. Because hello.  Airplane cooties.

s h o p   m y   t r a v e l   f a v e s

Shop all my travel faves in one spot HERE…..what I bought and what I’m swooning after.  Oh. La. La.

PS. I need a travel consultant. Not for consulting, but rather someone to follow me around and slap unhealthy foods out of my hand.

Now tell me all your travel secrets.   Ones where I can go to a beach with my white pasty legs.

P.S.s…     Why do we have to shave our legs so often on holidays?!

PS.s.s.S.  Why aren’t hairy anklets socially acceptable?

PS. S.ss.  My legs are still whiter than my teeth and I have $12 left in my bank account.

ME:  I really want to travel

MY BANK ACCOUNT:  Like…. to the backyard?

What are your travel essentials?

t a l k   t o   m e

I need these details to thrive in life.

1. Pete Walker

January 27th, 2018 at 10:36 pm

My comment is too long?

Try to be more concise?

Go back and try again?

AYFKM???

Seriously I was waxing eloquent and I was denied.

Now what?

January 28th, 2018 at 10:30 am

Dang Pete, I can’t believe my blog was bold enough to deny you while you were waxing eloquent. hhaaha. I love your way with words.

If it makes you feel any better, it marks me as spam and puts my own newsletter into my email junk folder.

These reasons, and more… are why I drink 🙂

3. Jacqueline Webster

January 27th, 2018 at 11:03 pm

I love 1 King West!!! Had our Christmas dinner there with friends ( all of us are empty nesters)! Also love my Roots jacket so easy to pack for travel, I use it as my pillow on the plane! Your idea of the Turkish towel is awesome! Gonna get me some and great gift idea too! Even though I live in cottage country ( Muskoka) a vacation is always on the horizon. The need to get away from everyday life for awhile and stretch your wings is necessary!! Praying for Michael and you as you navigate life!

January 28th, 2018 at 10:29 am

Hi Jacqueline,

You are a Canuck too? Wooooohoooo!

Isn’t One King great? I love how it is smack dab in the heart of Toronto too. Michael and I walk around and eat our way around the city, just by walking outside of the hotel. ahhaa.

I have a Canadian travel tip that you are going to FLIP with!

Have you ever used http://www.yyzdeals.com ? If you sign up for Chris Myden’s newsletter ( no spam, and he only sends an email when there are great deals )… I have mad respect for a guy like that. I blog the same way. Only sending emails when I have something epic to say :)))

His travel deals for flights out of Toronto are INSANELY good. Get ready. You will go to places that you never dreamed of, and it is for a fraction of the cost. Best. Thing. Ever.

Pack that pillowcase, that jacket and throw your Tonic Living throw on your bod. PS. Tonic Living is in Toronto too!! Meet Janine ! She is so so so awesome!!!

Big love to a fellow Canuck!
    So cool that you live in Muskoka! What part of Muskoka are you in?

5. Sharla

January 27th, 2018 at 11:24 pm

Funny and unexpected stuff…luv luv luv❤️❤️❤️

January 28th, 2018 at 10:21 am

Thanks for d’LURVE Sharla !!

Love the unexpected. LOVE.

Lynne x

7. Rachel Brown

January 27th, 2018 at 11:39 pm

Loved reading your update. Amazing pics on your fucketbucket list. Send lots of ❤️And thanks for the travel tips. I checked out each link ????

January 28th, 2018 at 10:19 am

Thanks for the love Rachel… and thanks for clicking my travel links and tips ! I’m so grateful for the support xo

Big love,

9. Sue LaFranchise

January 28th, 2018 at 1:58 am

While I’m not a huge traveler, you had some great tips!

But the thing I’m happiest about is that Michael is above the daisies. (Sorry about his difficult symptoms though).

January 28th, 2018 at 10:17 am

Those daisies. We love ’em. They are covered in snow right now. But ignoring. LOL.

Thanks for the well wishes and for writing in.

Big love!

11. Elizabeth Anthony Nestor

January 28th, 2018 at 2:05 am

Honey! So glad to hear from you because … for all the reasons, and especially, very especially, daisies. Travels are balm of the soul, and even though I only got to “item 3 nightlight” before life interfered, i can’t tell you how much love has been and continues to be sent your way via the vibes. We cherish you and your pack. Take care of youses. Xoxo

P.s. Barry’s tea bags. Because DH is Irish and Tetley’s just doesn’t cut it.

January 28th, 2018 at 10:16 am

Elizabeth !

You may have changed my tea drinking … Barry’s tea bags?.. where have I been? I didn’t even know they existed. Got them on my grocery list N.O.W.

Tip toeing across the daisies…

Lynne xo

13. Tracie

January 28th, 2018 at 4:06 am

You two are beautiful. And incredible. I’m happy you are experiencing some good along with the not so good. I have to admit that traveling was never a priority for me, but I have recently become single and it’s kind of all I want to do now. I still can’t afford to go too far, but I’m turning 60 in March, (yikes) and am celebrating in Vegas with some of my bests! Next on my bucket list is New Orleans, and then who knows…For my travel essentials, I have been hearing a lot about that silk pillowcase, and maybe a flask with some of your homemade Bailey’s to help with any annoyances that crop up…But now I’m thinking, Bali….

January 28th, 2018 at 10:14 am

Tracie !

You go girl !! We have the same travel priorities 🙂 Vegas is fun !!!…. I’ve never been to New Orleans, but hear it is great !! .. and I can tell ya one thing… Bali is GREAT and totally affordable. The most expensive part is getting there (but there are tons of deals out there too if you watch for them). Once you get to Bali, it’s a dream.

I usually buy a red eye flight to Bali (and hope that it isn’t booked full) I make a point of boarding LAST and then try to get three seats in a row. Hello bed in economy class. LOL. That silk pillow and packable jacket become my dream. Throw on a throw blanket. Heaven. 🙂

Happy travels xx

15. Penn

January 28th, 2018 at 8:55 am

Lynne, you always make me smile. You are so incredibly witty and your style is cleverly refreshing. thank you for sharing all that you do….

I read this saying yesterday and loved it… (probs not verbatim…but here goes:)

“There are only two days on which you cannot do a thing…
    Yesterday and tomorrow.”

…one day at a time LK…one day at a time. .

Hugs- penn

p.s. F*#k cancer!!!

January 28th, 2018 at 10:09 am

Best. Quote. Evahhhhhhhh !

Thanks for sharing that Penn!

Yup, and F*ck cancer and the horse it rode in on. 🙂

xx

17. Wendy Crowley

January 28th, 2018 at 9:41 am

So good to hear from you!! Missed your humor and pics! How far is your treehouse from Ottawa?

January 28th, 2018 at 9:58 am

Hi Wendy,

We are 6 hours and 3 minutes straight West from Ottawa ( 2 hours NW of Toronto near a small town called Durham)

I had to google map that distance from Ottawa. LOL. Plus, if it were me driving, the timing would be 13856 hours and 3 minutes, for shopping breaks, cookie breaks and Timmies. A girl has to do, what a girl has to do.

🙂
    I hope you come to visit our treehouse /cabin some day! The weekends are booked for the summer but there are some weekdays still left (and some weekends in September)

happy trails!

19. Jeanne

January 28th, 2018 at 10:32 am

Whew! So glad to hear from you! Had me worried there! Kind of like texting & calling my youngest & not getting an answer for hours (ok, sometimes it’s only 30 minutes, but still). At least with her I can go bang on her door & ask hey, why you don’t call your mama? Anyway, I’m glad you’re back and you guys really deserve the vacation! Sorry to read you had some troubles along the way, happy to read Michael’s still with us! Missed you!

January 28th, 2018 at 3:12 pm

hahaha Jeanne,

You can come bang on my door (AKA blog) anytime and ask me why I’m so quiet. ha. It’s true, isn’t it? With the kids, as soon as they are quiet.. we know they are up to no-good. LOL. I feel like I’m one of the kids 🙂

Thanks for the welcome back! Bucket list // fucket list priorities were pretty great. Thanks for sending the love!

Lynne + Michael 🙂

1 2 3 4 5

Unsubscribe at any time. No spam. Not even in a can.