20 Travel Essentials to Pack : I come with baggage.  Like whoa.

Jan 26

You never really realize how boring your life is until someone asks what you do for fun.  Basically, my idea of fun is when someone else makes my bed.  The end.

Crisp White Bed Sheets + Hotel bed =  See you never.

TRAVEL ESSENTIALS : Find out what I love to pack when I travel. I've got baggage. Like whoa! Read more on DESIGN THE LIFE YOU WANT TO LIVE by Lynne Knowlton

I don’t know about you, but I’ve thought about running away way more often as an adult, than I ever did as a kid.

My advice: Just book a ticket and just leave.

Adventuring to different places somehow makes your big ass problems seem way freaking smaller.

Michaels cancer is my ticket to crazy-ville at times.

Hello VAYCAY.

m i c h a e l     u p d a t e

For a guy with leptomeningeal metastasis (saying that word is like singing koombaya with a mouth full of marbles while doing trust falls off the edge of a cliff)  his feet are above the daisies, so therefore life is GOOD!  Michael takes three oral chemo tablets every day and does have symptoms of disease progression.  Buy hey.  Daisies, man.  Daisies.  He has numbness in his feet, chin, teeth and mouth. His body involuntarily moves in jerk-like movements throughout the night when he’s sleeping.  Do you ever jerk/bolt just as you are falling asleep?  THAT.

It’s like sleeping beside a lightening bolt.

So. We run away sometimes. We re-think our feelings about life and re-feel our thinkings.  Or something like that.

Traveling is our way of swinging at cancer like a southern church lady swings her purse, wearing her Sunday best.

We like to call our vaycays #BucketListFucketList trips

Michael and I actually went away for 5 weeks. Erhmergerd, right?!  You can see it here on my instagram (and dudette, follow me on insta… because I keep shit realer than a documentary.)

Truth is, the vaycay was kickass and scary all at once. There were times when I wrote to the oncologist because Michaels symptoms became worrisome. I was afraid we’d have to put a halt to the vaycay and come home. There were FEARS.  Real cancer fears. Fancy meeting you here, old friend.  NOT.  Cancer is like a hangover… you just can’t escape it sometimes.

ohhh  no

I bet you thought my lack of posting was because I was sitting around eating bonbons. Well, you’re kinda right. I have nothing against bonbons.  I do have something against the cost of vacations.

h o l y    b a t m a n

I discovered that I have champagne taste and soda pop pocketbook.

I swear, I’m a week away from being a greeter.

The good news is, we learned a few juicy things along the way. Like where to find the best tacos and helloooooo……your suitcase is LIFE when you are on the road.

{ what we put in our travel suitcase }

Brace yo’ self.  This is going to be juicy.

I feel like people who look presentable on a plane and can keep their luggage under 50 pounds, really have their lives together. I‘m not one of those people. Judge me.

BOTTLE OPENER.  There’s a reason why sober and bored sound exactly the same.

Packing cubes. I discovered travel cubes this year and beeeteeeedoubleU, AMAZE.  You can put your pants in one, tees in another, knickers in another, shoes in another, just everything. We bought these black packing cubes for Michael and these pink ones for me.  They even make dirty laundry look good.  Like that can happen. It totally happened.

Night light.  I love carrying a night light so I won’t face plant the hotel bathroom wall in the middle of the night.  Plus, the boogie man.  I usually buy inexpensive ones because I’m a dork and always often forget them in the hotel room.

Travel candles. Okay, they are probably illegal, and I’ll likely set off a hotel sprinkler some day, but candles are my happy place. Don’t forget the lighter.  I never forget it.  I always forget it.

Essential oil. Here’s my fave DIY homemade spray.  I take it with me wherever I go.  It’s triple duty stuff.  I spray the pillows, the room, my body, my hair, the corners of the universe. One bottle. 4398574539087 uses.

We also travel with my DIY essential oil toilet spray, because ewwwwwh.  Small hotel room + smelly bathroom = me no likey.  Your nostrils and life will thank me later.

Face cream.  Why is it that traveling makes your face feel like it’s 32984797 years old and a shrivelled prune?!  This face cream will hide the fact that you look like you hadn’t slept for 109 hours.  I’ve been using this cream for a year now and the night time one is my all time fave.

Coffee Bodum.  It’s very badassery.  Most hotels have a kettle and WOW is it ever kickass to brew your fave coffee in a delish way.  We always travel with a bodum for staycations, like One King West <<<<— Our fave hotel in Toronto.  Yes, I screamed that!

One King West rooms have a washer/dryer and a kitchenette and helllloooooo coffee.  We live a few hours outside of Toronto, so it is our home away from home when we travel to the city for Michaels oncology appointments.  The rooms have wrap around windows with views of the city for f.o.r.e.v.e.r.

PS. here’s a new page on my blog with all my fave hotel stays!

Sleep aids on airplanes.   I’ll do almost anything to fall asleep on a plane.   I’ve tried Gravol, Melatonin and everything under the sun.  PS. Don’t take too many of these.  The last time I did that, I put my head in the macaroni and Michael had to pick it up.

10.

Pocket wifi.  We bought this TEPPY for portable wifi.   It worked in every country we traveled to (except New Zealand) but I figured that it was the universe telling me that I needed to unplug my face from my phone  ( I wrote about that here on my insta)

We bought the Teppy device so we could own it outright and use it anytime.  In addition, we paid $8 per day for data usage.  As an alternative, you can rent Teppy for $8.95 a day. We freaking loved it.  Having wifi and not paying roaming charges is d’bomb diggity. We just used the wifi as we normally do, and only for our phones.

11.

Portable phone charger. Because Michael’s energy is so magnifying – he drains his phone every 12 seconds. ???? I find it’s worth it to spend a bit more moola on a quality charger.  We loved ours!

12.

Pack an eye mask!  Because hello. Some things can not be unseen.

13.

This luggage.  Heaven on wheels.  We bought the Samsonite Winfield because helllooooo awesome.  We ( mostly ME, because Michael doesn’t care about these wonders of the world LOL)  felt like Elvis Presley with patent leather shoes.

14.

Walking shoes. Okay, I know I should probably be wearing some old lady shoes to be super practical. But hey.  I’m not ready for granny panties and old geezer shoes yet.  I wore these boot shoes pretty much 24/7.  They were a great price and I could wear them in hot and cool climates. LURVE.

15.

These jackets.  Erhmergerd.  They are life.  They pack down to almost nothing in a rolly polly (basically the pocket) and we lived in them.    This is the jacket we bought for Michael and this is the Roots jacket that we bought for moi.  Fave thing ever.  LIFE.  Ugh.  So good.  I’m dead.

16.

Turkish towels …they are lightweight, versatile AND great as an extra towel, sarong, scarf or blanket.  It’s makes your hotel room feel like home, and PS. one can never have too many blankets on an airplane.  You never know when you may need to hide from people (like, always)   These are my faves .  A Turkish towel pretty much solves everything.  Therefore, I own a million of them. At home, I use them for tablecloths and curtains.  D’bomb diggity.

17.

Not exaggerating.  Our Pacsafe backpacks were l.i.f.e.s.a.v.e.r.s.  It was so great to not have to wheel around an extra piece of carry on luggage.  We bought this small one for me and a larger one for Michael. Faboosh for laptops, camera, passport and important things like liquorice…..and wine…and other unmentionables.

18.

This thing.  We used it every.single.day.   So good.   Couldn’t have survived without it.

19.

Lint brush – because, otherwise… I always seem to look like I rolled on a cat.

20.

I saved this one for last, because I didn’t want you to think that I was a total weirdo.  A silk pillowcase.  It literally feels like heaven on your head.  Plus, I don’t want hotel cooties.  For some unreal reason I feel cleaner having my own pillowcase over a hotel pillowcase.  Plus, your hair doesn’t look like as much of a hot mess when you wake up.  I used the same pillowcase to stuff my fave fluffy jacket in it, and used it as an airplane pillow. Because hello.  Airplane cooties.

s h o p   m y   t r a v e l   f a v e s

Shop all my travel faves in one spot HERE…..what I bought and what I’m swooning after.  Oh. La. La.

PS. I need a travel consultant. Not for consulting, but rather someone to follow me around and slap unhealthy foods out of my hand.

Now tell me all your travel secrets.   Ones where I can go to a beach with my white pasty legs.

P.S.s…     Why do we have to shave our legs so often on holidays?!

PS.s.s.S.  Why aren’t hairy anklets socially acceptable?

PS. S.ss.  My legs are still whiter than my teeth and I have $12 left in my bank account.

ME:  I really want to travel

MY BANK ACCOUNT:  Like…. to the backyard?

What are your travel essentials?

t a l k   t o   m e

I need these details to thrive in life.

1. Julie Cauthron

January 28th, 2018 at 10:43 am

LOVE YOU, YOUR FUNNY WAYS AND THE PICS!!! So glad you’re back and hubby is with you..

January 28th, 2018 at 3:12 pm

Me tooooooo Julie. Me too xoxoxoxoxox

3. Teresa Davis

January 28th, 2018 at 1:00 pm

It’s so good to hear from you, I always enjoy your words, you always make me laugh, I can count on it!!! I am sorry to hear about your troubles. I know that you are facing all of this with as much laughter as you can muster, which I believe is our secret weapon against any thing that comes against us I have not been commenting at all, because I’ve been tied up with my sweet Mom having a stroke a few months ago and my little sister has entered the phase of hospice care. I’m looking forward to hearing your musings on what’s next!!! Be good to your self and know that there are many of us praying for your and sending good thoughts your way!!!

January 28th, 2018 at 3:15 pm

You are so right about that, Teresa. Laughing is a secret weapon. It is about the only way to get through things some times. There’s always room for tears, so there should always be room for laughs 🙂

…AND Ohhhhhhh no….that must be so difficult with your Mom and your sister! Hospice is especially beautiful and sad all at once. Sending you and your family so much light and love.

Thank you for the love and prayers xoxox
    Right back atcha.

5. Lena

January 28th, 2018 at 1:18 pm

Welcome back!

My top travel tip (when flying in the US) is to always carry SECURITY SOCKS.

These are just an extra pair of socks you put on your feet (or over your *actual* socks) before they make you take off your shoes to walk through the X-ray box.

Your “security socks” will protect your feet from AIRPORT COOTIES spread by the dirty naked feet of half the world’s travelers.

Obviously, remember to take those socks off before putting your shoes back on.

Coveting your Roots coat, but they’re sold out. It’s just as well; I live in the desert. Ha!

Cheers.

January 28th, 2018 at 3:19 pm

Erhhhmergerd Lena! That is a BRILLIANT IDEA!!

I’m also creeped out about the naked feet, the dirty cooties, the traffic… and then having to put your NOW dirty sock feet back into your own shoes. I LOVE this idea. Love love love.

Do you do double duty with the socks? I take traveling socks for on the airplane too (okay, if I’m really going to confess….) I take slippers haha…

The Roots coat is sold out? Whaaaaa. Makes me so sad.

You are in the desert? Trade ya for some snow cones.

🙂 Lynne xx

7. Lena

January 30th, 2018 at 12:18 pm

Yes on the slippers! I love my Fitkicks; comfy, versatile for travel, and take up zero packing space. As for the snowcones, I’ll take them here in June! Ha!

8. Brenda

January 28th, 2018 at 1:23 pm

I have to chuckle a bit when people tell me/write about ‘travel essentials.’ My family didn’t travel – ranchers. My husband taught me to travel his way, by motorcycle, and in the early days when I was a back seat bunny (much younger, skinnier and in lust), I was allowed one saddle bag for my stuff.

ONE.

I ride my own bike now and can still go on a two-week road trip wherein all my personal stuff can fit into a tote bag. Even go on overseas trips with one carry-on. It’s a lifestyle after 35 years.

The Husband used to travel with his worn-out shirts and socks, discarding them along the way rather than washing them. Then when he got home, he’d buy new clothes.

Happy to hear everyone is still doing OK. We’re presently being buried in yet another 36+ hour snow episode and I must confess that a week on a hot beach somewhere is looking mighty appealing. I could even consider putting this way-past-middle-age bod into a swimsuit.

January 28th, 2018 at 3:23 pm

Well seat bunny… that’s impressive, a carry on ?!!!! Woot woot !! Plus, I learned new words today… seat bunny. LOL!

Great idea about taking old clothes too! I have done that on our trips to Bali.. and left my clothes behind for others in need… it feels like A MILLION BUCKS to do that. Great reminder. I must do that again some day.

You are having a snow episode? Ours is almost all melted right now.. but I have a funny feeling we are about to get blasted again. I have a love hate relationship with snow 🙂

I hope you see some beachy sunshine someday soon and rock that middle-aged-bod ( I have one too)

Big love,

10. millie

February 2nd, 2018 at 10:46 am

Brenda…I suggested my husband travel with his worn clothes and old underwear so he could abandon them along the way. One hotel shipped them back to us……I could have bought a river cruise for what I was billed for postage. So, make sure you toss them in a remote location; dark alley with no cameras :).

11. Sarah

January 29th, 2018 at 9:54 am

I love all your packing tips – going to check out the PacSafe bag for sure. The bag I’ve been using is too big and not structured enough so I keep losing stuff in it! I have a trip to Italy planned in July so seems that would be handy.
    Your trip sounds amazing and I’m so inspired by your #bucketlistfuckitlist. Travel is an amazing tonic. Thank you for sharing!!

February 5th, 2018 at 8:24 pm

Sooooo true, Sarah! Travel is an amazing tonic. Well said!

Oh my, you are going to love a PacSafe bag! It has little compartments (but not too little) to hold your passport, a pen, chapstick.. just bits of everything, but not so much that you will lose things in there. I LOVE how organized it is.

This is going to sound weird, but totally true…
    The backpack itself is quite structured/ not a floppy pack. It felt very adult like. Like a classy back pack. haha.

Okay, this weird-o is signing off now 🙂
    Lynne x

13. Jennifer Savage

January 29th, 2018 at 10:12 am

LOVE YOUR POSTS! Just sayin’. Anyway, been to Florence? If not, you must go! The Hotel Rosery Garden(preferably the Sultane Rose room~has a balcony;) The owner, Monica is a doll & the croissants are flippin’ delicious…and out in the sitting room at night???? Deal on Travelocity for free hotel w/paid airfare so extending my trip for 3 days saved $ since airfare was cheaper later & there was no charge for extra nights at the hotel! Day trip to Cinque Terre with the student travel group(less talking, more free time & much cheaper)Smart trip is a must. September was perfect, warm but not crowded, but I’ll go back any day! Food was Ahhh-mazing! Like heaven… bruchetta (every dang thing on each on was fresh & from there…anchovies caught that freaking morning!) with “the vertical” cocktail outside just taking in the view!!! And then… the beach! That day trip was everything;) Can’t wait to go back…once in a lifetime trip my ass???? Also, evening wine tasting at Diadem winery (aka 5 courses with lots o wine & small group of strangers that you know are fun, cause y’all think alike & book the same excursion????). Last piece of advice, DON’T dig into a stash of sugar free candy on the plane???? All I can say is, thank GOD for Poopourri!

February 5th, 2018 at 8:20 pm

Hi Jennifer !

I have been to Florence, but I totally missed out on that awesomeness. Now, I totally have to go back. ahahaha.

Still laughing about the poopourri.

Laughed.Out.Loud. 🙂

15. Kevin

January 29th, 2018 at 11:24 am

Hi Lynne… Nice to hear from you! I love your posts, as well. Take good care!

February 5th, 2018 at 8:21 pm

Thanks Kevin! Thanks for popping in and saying hello!

Big love,
    Lynne x

17. Shirley Sutherland

January 29th, 2018 at 2:53 pm

Hi, Lynne! I’m saving this blog for my next trip. Lots of great ideas!
    Cheers,
    Shirley

February 1st, 2018 at 12:34 pm

That’s a good idea Shirley!! I’m going to save it too. LOL 🙂 Now, I need to make a printable checklist !! How’s that for a cool idea!??

19. Lili

February 2nd, 2018 at 1:42 am

I can’t travel without this phone mount for the rental car: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PGJWYJ0
    And a USB adapter to charge my phone: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00MA8JZ10

My husband claims I’m a terrible navigator. The phone mount might just have saved our marriage.

I noticed that you have several dry shampoos in your travel favs. I love the Living Proof one, but my coworkers complain about the smell. Which one would you recommend instead?

20. millie

February 2nd, 2018 at 10:39 am

Breathrights!…otherise you won’t need the silk pillowcase, the eye mask or the sleeping pills….yes, it is that bad.

February 5th, 2018 at 8:17 pm

Wait. Millie… breathrights? They help? oh my. Game changer. xx 🙂

1 2 3 4 5

Unsubscribe at any time. No spam. Not even in a can.